The MERIT team are committed to the ongoing capability and capacity development of our people and our modelling tools. We are continually extending our expertise through a number of research and applied projects.
Examples of our Current Research Programmes and PhD Research
MERIT is being further developed under RNC. There are several workstreams:
- Creating inoperability capabilities between multi-hazard, risk (e.g. RiskScape), and infrastructure (including interdependency) models, enabling a rapid end-to-end assessment of impacts; and
- A broader and deeper MERIT impact 'lens' to account for additional impacts including dynamic household type, business value chain, and multiple capitals (economic, social, environmental, etc); and
- Uncertainty quantification associated with key model input parameters; and
- Improved embedding of the MERIT suite into emerging decision-making processes e.g. robust decision-making, dynamic adaptive policy pathways, hedging strategies and real options.
Canterbury Lifelines Group
- The MERIT tool is being used in the development of a low-cost infrastructure vulnerability and resilience investment evaluation process for lifelines groups throughout New Zealand.
MERIT supports the activities in the Inter-disciplinary Programme 4: Harnessing Disruptive Technologies for Seismic Resilience including:
- Creation of novel approaches to capture behaviour when disruptive technologies change the business-as-usual structure of the economy beyond conventional socio-economic models that assume the future structure of an economy will follow the same pattern as it has historically.
- Development of adoption pathways for several disruptive technologies (noted above), including temporal rates and depth of penetration, and the associated equity and well-being consequences of adoption.
- Evaluation of resilience gains (and potential pitfalls) of such technology adoption, and an evidence-base for just decision-making beyond the business-as-usual utility of these technologies.
Coastal Adaptation Endeavour - Future Coast Aotearoa